Eggplant is one of the vegetables used most in Turkish cuisine. Eggplant, cooked using a variety of methods, is particularly preferred roasted for use in salads. In order to attain the silky smooth texture for salads, the roasted eggplant flesh is not chopped up, instead it is shredded and puréed by separating the fibers with a fork, and mixed with lemon juice and olive oil. In this way, both the flavor and texture reaches the desired consistency.
- 1,5 kg globe eggplants
- 1 ½ lemon juice
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Either roast the eggplants in the oven or by rotating over a low flame on the stove. Be sure that the eggplants are soft inside.
- Peel the skin while they are still warm, this is done by holding the eggplant by the stem. Remove the stem and remove the parts containing a majority of the seeds. Transfer to a deep bowl.
- Gradually add lemon juice, olive oil and salt and puree the eggplant with a fork, season to taste. Leave to cool.
- This can be served garnished with parsley, dill, olives and tomatoes.